From time to time I come across this need; where I need to scrub a file where there are duplicates, there are blank lines, the sort order is all wack, and it just needs to be formatted to where it can be more readable and/or usable.
This method just doesn’t apply to text, but also applies to numbers.
- TextFX Characters Plug-in for NotePad++
Enabling TextFX Characters Plug-in
Install NotePad++ with all defaults
Goto Plugins > Plugin Manager > Show Plugin Manager
Install TextFX Characters Plugin
Once successfully downloaded it will prompt for a restart.
After a successful restart of the application you should now see the TextFX entry in the toolbar.
Removing duplicates, blank lines, and sorting data
- Paste the text into Notepad++ (CTRL+V). As you can see, there were lines and half of them were blank.
- Mark all the text (CTRL+A). Click TextFX → Click TextFX Tools → Check +Sort outputs only UNIQUE (at column) lines (if not already checked).
- Click TextFX → Click TextFX Tools → Click Sort lines case insensitive (at column)
- Duplicates and blank lines have been removed and the data has been sorted alphabetically. (The first line that may appear empty contains a space, which is regarded as a character and is included in the list of unique data.)
This has saved me a lot of time when working with IP addresses or cleaning up text.